S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
Toasty browned butter, gooey marshmallows, graham crackers, and creamy milk chocolate come together to create these S’mores Rice Krispie Treats. A simple treat that’s sure to be a summer staple!
- 6 cups (160g) rice cereal
- 1 package (8 whole) graham crackers, crushed into small pieces
- ½ cup (1 stick / 113g) unsalted butter
- 20 oz. mini marshmallows, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (4 oz.) milk chocolate
- Lightly grease a 9” x 9” square baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the rice cereal and crushed graham crackers.
- In a large pot, add the butter and melt over medium-low heat. Stirring constantly, brown the butter until it becomes foamy and a deep golden brown color. You’ll know it’s done when you see darker brown bits on the bottom and the butter has a nutty aroma.
- As soon as the butter is browned, turn off the heat and add 16 ounces of marshmallows to the pot, reserving the remaining 4 ounces. Stir until the marshmallows have completely melted. Add the vanilla and salt and mix until combined.
- Add the marshmallow mixture to the cereal mixture and mix until the cereal is completely coated with marshmallow. Add in the 4 ounces of remaining marshmallows. Stir until they are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Spread it out evenly and press down, using a greased rubber spatula or a piece of parchment paper.
- Heat the milk chocolate in the microwave for 20-second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Use a spoon or piping bag to drizzle the chocolate all over the top of the krispie treats. Sprinkle with more crushed graham crackers and mini marshmallows, if desired. Allow the chocolate the harden and the treats to set up before cutting, for at least 30 minutes.
- Once set up, remove from the pan, cut the krispie treats into 16 equal squares, and enjoy!
- Storing: These should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Reheat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to make the treats soft and gooey again.
- Freezing: Wrap each square individually in plastic wrap then store the wrapped squares in a zip-top plastic bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.