Chocolate Chip Banana Cake with Chocolate Frosting
You’re gonna love how quick and simple this Chocolate Chip Banana Cake is. Plus the Chocolate Cream Cheese is the icing on the cake (literally). The cake is moist, the frosting is fudgy, and together they create an amazing mouthful.
1 hour 15 minutes
Chocolate Chip Banana Cake:
- 2 overripe bananas
- 10 Tablespoons (140g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (120g) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (100g) mini chocolate chips
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8oz (227g) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 stick (113g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups (340g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (43g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8” x 8” square pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper to create a sling, with an overhang on all four sides.
- In a large mixing bowl, add bananas and mash with a fork until only a few lumps remain.
- Whisk in melted butter, sugar, sour cream, and vanilla. Add eggs and mix until fully combined.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the center of the cake springs back to the touch (or a toothpick comes out clean).
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting: Combine the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until well combined and smooth with no lumps remaining. Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla and mix just until fully combined.
- Spread the chocolate cream cheese frosting on the top of the cooled cake, using a tapered spatula and pushing the frosting just to the edges and corners.
- Slice the cake up and enjoy!