Chewy Coconut Macaroons
These Chewy Coconut Macaroons are perfectly crisp on the outside, soft and sticky inside, and finished with a drizzle of melted chocolate. Coconut lovers, you’re going to love these!
- 4 large egg whites
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (90g) honey
- 2 ¼ cups (185g) finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
- melted chocolate for drizzling (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add the egg whites, sugar, and honey. Warm the mixture over low heat, stirring frequently, until it’s warm and the sugar is dissolved, or until the mixture reaches about 140 on a digital thermometer. Make sure not to heat any higher.
- Stir in the coconut until fully incorporated. Set aside and let the mixture sit for 20-30 minutes to allow the liquid to absorb and the mixture to firm up slightly.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- After the macaroon mixture sits, use a large cookie scoop to portion it out on the prepared baking sheets, spacing a couple inches apart. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until dark golden brown.
- Allow the macaroons to cool. Drizzle melted chocolate over the macaroons with a spoon or piping bag, if desired. Place the pan of macaroons in the fridge just until the chocolate sets up, about 5-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Storing: Store macaroons at room temperature in a single layer in a zip-top plastic bag or an airtight container, for up to 3 days.